· 1 and 1/2 cups flour (spelt, sorghum or buckwheat flour have great nutrient profiles)
· 1/2 cup almond meal
· 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
· 2 teaspoon cinnamon
· pinch of salt
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
· 1 and 1/2 cups mashed banana (approx 4 medium ripe banana's) + an extra banana sliced for the tops
· 2 organic eggs
· 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 1/2 cup milk of choice
· 2 teaspoons honey
1. Preheat your oven to 180c, fan forced. Grease a medium sized muffin tray to hold 9 muffins.
2. In large mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients & walnuts.
3. Mash banana & combine with eggs, olive oil and milk.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir through until just combined.
5. Spoon mixture into the greased muffin tray and bake and top each muffin if you like with slices of banana and a drizzle of honey.
6. Place muffin tray in oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. You should be able to insert a skewer into the centre of the muffins and have it come out clean.
7. Allow muffins to cool in the muffin tray for 10 - 15 minutes then remove carefully and place on a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container for 2 days or in the fridge for 4 days, then freeze.